Re: News group follow ups

To: Robert Newell <rnewell@usa.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: News group follow ups
From: Carol <car@intersatx.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 14:09:35 -0800
HI, Robert...

As Larry Macy pointed out, the list had this news group discussion some
weeks back. In an "early internet life" I tried a news group. I got 1) not
the info that I was looking for, 2) not the personality that this list has,
and 3) more commercial e-mail and spam than you could shake a stick at.
(Others may have different experiences, I report mine!) I also saw flaming
that makes anything you could imagine here seem tame. Here on this list
there aren't 'flamers' as much as there are folks who can be somewhat
strong-minded at times... but can't we all?! The people here are a bit more
civil than the run-of-the-mill joes who sometimes like to hide behind a
keyboard and start trouble. (I used to have a BBS and know whereof I speak.)

In this venue (mg list), a blatant flamer can be calmed. On the f-body list
(Firebirds and Camaros -- long story...) two guys that I know of were
banned from the list for deliberately trying to waste bandwidth by being
vile and defamatory. A list owner has that ability.  I  don't know about
the news groups.

As far as making this list "bigger".... isn't that what caused you to bring
the subject up in the first place? I suppose I'm a "separatist". I don't
advertise this list anywhere. I will tell good folks about it, however. I
suppose I'm still a bit gunshy after the flaming news groups. And I've seen
my downloads here go from 20 messages per day to over 100 per day.

My delete key works just fine.

Just my thoughts, along with Ross and Larry and Nory and.... and.....

Carol