Re: The Change - Oil, that is. Novices take Heed!

To: miker15@juno.com
Subject: Re: The Change - Oil, that is. Novices take Heed!
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 16:33:52 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 15 Mar 1998 miker15@juno.com wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 1998 17:10:43 -0600 "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
> writes:
> >Well listers, I changed the oil in both engine and trans for the first
> >time
> >today.
> >The motor oil was fine, no biggie, piece of cake. The
> >tranny.....GRRRR.
> >Yep, the checker/filler is in FRONT ie FORWARD of the radio console,
> >not
> >"behind" the Console as I was thinking (and Haynes said! grrrr,
> >again). I'm
> >not a Navy guy or I'd use the more descriptive Aft and Astern or
> >whatever,
> >confusing terms for a land lubber. The bung cover was easy, the
> >dipstick was
> >easy, getting the oil OUT was easy (and it looked almost NEW!).
> >But man, what a messy, god forsaken job getting the new oil back in
> >was!!!
> >As an NOF (Non Old Fart) or "tweener" (?!) I duly ignored the advice
> >of
> >getting a pump device to get the oil in there, I found a tube like
> >device at
> >Autozone that allows you to connect one end to the oil bottle and
> >close/open
> >the flow...ahhh, but the rub is, folks, no air = no flow! so here I
> >am, on
> >my knees, ass waving to the other bemused patrons of the Auto Craft
> >Shop,
> >with my "handy" $4 device, trying to hold the one end in the open
> >filler
> >hole and attempting to poke a hole in the (now slippery) oil bottle
> >with a
> >phillips...no nail handy...Worked great, until the bottle is about 3/4
> >empty, then El Halto, and how do you get the bottle, and "handy
> >device" out
> >of the car without spilling? You don't, especially since I poked a
> >hole in
> >the bottom of the bottle...
> >moral of the story to the uninitiated: Get a pump device, or a funnel
> >with a
> >LONG tube and a friend to hold the free end in to the filler hole so
> >you
> >aren't lubricating the outside of the tranny instead of the inside...
> >Just thought I'd share....
> >I'm still smiling, and so is my B! And I only cursed once - when I
> >couldn't
> >find a dustpan to clean up all the dry-sweep! I'm learning. :)
> >
> >Dan
> >'73 B
>
> At the risk of appearing like a total check-book enthusiast (which i
> resist vigourously)
> There are just some jobs that one gladly pays somebody else to do!
> Oil changes of any description fall into this category as far as im
> concerned - especially transmission oil - its a downright shitty job -
> always has been
> [...]
        As long as Alex knows what fluid goes where and you don't mind
waiting an hour or so then I would agree. I would rather spend the $20
bucks on a case of Casrtol and a pump. That way I know the job is done
right (not over filled), has the right oil not gear oil and I still have
the pump to use to fill my rear axle when needed. While I'm under the car
for the oil change I can also lube the kingpins and check the shocks. To
get an idea of how good one of these places might be give them a call and
ask what they recommend putting in the tranny. If they don't know or you
have to tell them then I think I would avoid the. Just my .02 cents worth.
...Art