Re: Moving to California!

To: "Philip Morgan" <padre@billman.kuntrynet.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Moving to California!
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 19:14:39 -0800
To be registered in California, only cars up to and including the model
year 1973 are exempt from smog tests. That means both your cars will have
to have all their smog equipment replaced and they will have to be tested
and pass a fairly stiff emissions test. The 1975 car will have to have a
catalytic converter as part of the emissions system. The actual emissions
test levels vary depending which county you move to; a county which is
considered a "critical impact" (or some such name) county requires a test
which includes time on a rolling road.
The good news, however, is that if your engine is in good mechanical shape
and well tuned, there should be no reason it will not pass the test. Just
hope that you have all the original equipment tucked away somewhere!

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center