Re:-Moving to California!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:-Moving to California!
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 22:53:40 -0800
Philip Morgan <padre@billman.kuntrynet.com> wrote

>Subject: Moving to California!
>
>This is a hypothetical question at this stage, but it may become reality
>in the not too distant future. I have a 1975 and a 1974 1/2 MGB. Both
>cars have had the air pump and other emissions control stuff removed. Do
>I have to put all that "good" stuff back on before I can take the cars to
>California? What other problems may be encountered if I choose to keep
>the cars and re-locate in California?
>
>Regards Philip

Philip,
       California law requires that the vehicle be unmodified and with all
it's original emission equipment. So in theory you may need these items to
get it registered in California. We now have just enacted a change to the
SMOG laws. Your 1974 car will not need a bi-annual smog inspection, however
the '75 will. You may also be expected to get the 74 smogged once when you
first register it. Perhaps someone more knowlegable can comment further on
this.
Be aware California has a $300 fee for registering your car if it from out
of state and does not have a sticker showing that it complies with
California emissions standards. This fee is a one time charge and quite
apart from the normal yearly road tax.  A buddy of mine brought a Astro Van
from Minnesota and ran into this problem. The van was identical to the
locally marketed product and so with a trip to the Ford dealership parts
counter to order a sticker and then apply it, he was able to satisfy the
inspector at the department of Motor Vehicles when he finally registered
it.
I suggest you look in the Moss Catalog and order the sticker for each of
your cars when the time comes and save yourself $600.
The law requires that you only operate your vehicle with all of the
emission equipment in tact, so the DMV inspector *may* do a visual
inspection for some of the better known items like the air pump, rail and
catalytic converter. There will be a definite check for the emission
sticker. So one set of equipment may get the two cars registered!
If I can help further contact me directly, John.
E-MAIL - jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com          AMDAHL SUNNYVALE CA.
              ***  usual disclaimers apply  ***
1969MGBGT; 1973MGB; 1974MGB-restored; 1976MGB-restored; 1979MGB;
VOICE - 408-746-6361 7:00 to 4:00 PST       1972MGB-daily driver