Re: CA's Pacific Hwy was Re: Paint Fumes or What? Now a flame El Nino

To: Mike Gigante <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Subject: Re: CA's Pacific Hwy was Re: Paint Fumes or What? Now a flame El Nino
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 08:57:28 -0800 (PST)
Dear Mike,

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Mike Gigante wrote:

=%OI hate to differ, but while the road is pretty good, it is well
=%Oshort of the greatest drives in an LBC.
=%O
=%OThe scenery is good, but there is too much traffic (esp. RVs),

It must be the time of year. I did it in Sept. and I'll bet I didn't see
10 other cars on that stretch. Also, I never saw a cop there.

=%Otoo many police, and the road doesn't quite have the variation
=%Othat the greatest roads have.

Well, that is probably at least partially true. You are pretty much level
with cliffs to the East of you.

=%O
=%OMy vote? Well, somewhat parochially I vote for "The Great Ocean Road"
=%Ohere in my homestate of Victoria, Australia. Similar in the sense that it is
=%Ocut out of hills dropping down into the ocean. It has wonderful rises,
=%Ofalls,
=%Otight and fast sections, little traffic most of the time and the highway
=%Opatrol
=%Ois rarely seen. Even better there are sections that you can go absolutely
=%Oflat out and still be going at legal speeds!!!
=%O
I don't think I would go flat out on a lot of PCH, even if it were legal.

=%OSome other more memorable drives include the Black Spur (Maroondah Hwy
=%Oon the way to Marysville (Vic, Australia), the road west to Oban (Scotland)
=%Oon a beautiful sunny day in a Mini 1100S, the drive over the alps from
=%OFrance
=%Ointo Italy (and vica versa), the road to Grenoble, Skyline Drive (Bay Area),
=%Othe road to Mt Tamborine (sp?) north of SF,

It is Mt. Tamalpais. That is a road FULL of RVs and cops. It is almost
like a funeral procession most of the way up on weekends!

 The Blue Ridge Parkway (and its
=%Oextension) [although the speed limits are too low and too many police].
=%O
=%OI could go on......
=%O
=%OMike
=%O
=%O
=%O-----Original Message-----
=%OFrom: George (Pete) Tolleson <gtoll@worldnet.att.net>
=%OTo: John J. Peloquin <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
=%OCc: Dan Ray <danray@bluegrass.net>; mgs@autox.team.net <mgs@autox.team.net>
=%ODate: Tuesday, March 24, 1998 12:59 PM
=%OSubject: Re: OFF TOPIC was Re: Paint Fumes or What? Now a flame El Nino
=%O
=%O
=%O>John J. Peloquin wrote:
=%O>
=%O>> ...the PCH is possibly the BEST drive there is in an LBC. The stretch
=%O>> from BIG SUR to just past Pacifica is absolutely AWESOME and is
=%O>> something everyone should experience in their LBC at least once in >
=%Otheir life.  <
=%O>
=%O>I agree! Even though the LBC I drove it in was a ' 58 or '59 Ford
=%O>Prefect, it was still awesome! (Too bad that trip was before the
=%O>Morgan!)
=%O>
=%O>Pete
=%O>'68 BGT
=%O>
=%O

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II