HS6 Problem Solved!

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: HS6 Problem Solved!
From: Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:36:29 -0800
Thanks to the many who gave advice on this one.  There were
a confluence of problems which have all been fixed....

1.  Th throttle discs were installed correctly, but one
wasn't seating in the carb throat properly.  That was an
easy fix.

2.  I also discovered (on the same carb) that the plunger
was rubbing on the carb body.  This was not due to a poorly
centered jet tube.  I dug out another plunger, cleaned it up
and no more rubbing.

3. (also same carb) the new plunger was now fouling the
dashpot and rubbing.  Dig again and fine another dashpot
that was smooth as silk.  Clean it up and install.

4.  On the car, runaway idle was SOMEWHAT more under
control.  Under closer inspection, the throttle springs were
indeed not holding the throttle closed well enough.  A quick
adjustment of the spring bracket (my cobbled up contraption)
and the addition of a third spring did the trick.

It's still running a bit rich and I haven't hooked up the
vacuum advance, but it idles very smoothly, powers nicely up
hills (such as the Waldo Grade in Marin, Calif.) in
overdrive no less and I even passed a few Tauri and
Oldsmobuicks with aplomb.

Thanks again to all!

Cheers,

Andy "The Dashpot Mogul of Burlingame" Ramm
--

Andy Ramm
A silver face in a tweed world.

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C) and
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited
advertisement to this equipment.  A violation of the
aforementioned Section is punishable by action to recover
actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for
each violation.