Weak Deutschmark??? Was: Cyl Head

To: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Subject: Weak Deutschmark??? Was: Cyl Head
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 98 18:48:50 +0100
Phil commented:

<snip>

> The good news for the rest of Europe
>is that the (..). weak Mark,

????????????????????????

This is probably a mistake, Phil.

The Deutschmark is NOT weak, perhaps it seems to you that way,
but probably more important to you, your own currency (British Pound)
has risen very strongly over the last couple of years (like the Italian
Lira, by the way).

So it probably just seems that way if you are in Britain.

> are making secondhand
>cars in Germany VERY cheap. People in the UK are popping over to Germany
>to pick up Porsches at rockbottom prices. OK, they're lhd but so what?

This is DEFINITELY true, I've noticed that also when I am in Germany.
(My job brings me on a regular basis in Germany and Italy and I'm always
looking for, ehhh... 'interesting' cars.)

Secondhand Porsches are now  very cheap in Germany.

The reason is in some recent changes in the German car taxation system,
making ALL
cars that have NOT been equipped with  a catalytic converter (i.e pre- 1987
or something, for Germany)
[more expensive to keep and therefore] very unattractive to keep, when you
live in Germany.
This lowers their resale price.

Personally, I've been looking into Porsches 924 and 928  (ca. 1985-87)
[druel, druel] and these can be had for as little as
$ 5000 - $ 8000 when bought at a dealer  outlet (not the cheapest place to
buy a secondhand car, but definitively one of the safest...)

Especially the 928 were VERY expensive when new!

BTW I was in Italy only a few weeks ago and you hardly ever see any MGs over
there!
(mandatory LBC content)

Bert

(whose currency, the Dutch guilder, is as strong as the Deutschmark)