CA's Pacific Hwy was Re: Paint Fumes or What.........

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: CA's Pacific Hwy was Re: Paint Fumes or What.........
From: Murray Arundell <marundel@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 09:37:53 +1100 (EST)
The Great Ocen Road in Victoria gets a vote from me too.  Will be TCing
along there in a couple of weeks.  However IMHO there are others that are
worth:-

The Sidling between Launceston and Scotsdale, Tasmania Aus.  If you think
you can drive. Try this one......

A little further on from Scotsdale is Elephants Pass.
Infact just about anywhere in Tasmania.  Particularly the West Coast.

Whakatane to Gisborne via Te Araroa on NZ's Norht Island is a great way to
spend a day. I did it in an MX-5 (Miata), Hey Avis were all out of TCs.

Chapman's Peak south of Cape Town (RSA)is a brilliant drive matched to
magnificent views.

The main highway from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth is superb for its
engineering, its twist and turns and long open corners.  Best of all the SAP
Highway Patrol could not care less how fast you are going.  I did the trip a
few years ago in a BGT-V8.  Nothing beats travelling for hour after hour at
100 mph!

The St. Gothard Pass road in Switzerland.  Take the pas road, not the tunnel
and you will be rewarded with a magnificent drive.  At the finish, travel
another few kms until you reach the Furka Pass.  This one is even better.
Suggest you take a rest stop before you go though because you will work hard
if you are going to enjoy it properly.

Last but not least is the five day run from Brisbane to Perth (Aus).  Not
for the technical aspects of the drive but simply because there is bugger
all out there and you can stop in the middle of nowhere and take in all the
emptiness.......