Re: Favorite Roads - a bit too long, but worth it!

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Favorite Roads - a bit too long, but worth it!
From: Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 14:24:49 -0800
My personal opinion is that PCH is overrated, mostly because
it's so damn crowded all the time.

Here are some suggested trip notes for those travelling
through Northern California.

Go north across the Golden Gate Bridge.  Head through
Sausalito for brunch or whatever.  Then take the road to Hwy
1 (not known as PCH North of SF).  You'll pass =

Stinson Beach, Pt. Reyes Lighthouse and Tomales Bay which is
one of the most breathtaking bodies of water.

Hwy 1 will wind inland a bit than then turn west again to
the coast.  Cross Hwy 116 and stop in Jenner to take
pictures.  Turn around and take 116 East following the
Russian River through the town of Guerneville.  =

At the fork in Guerneville, stay to the left and keep
heading east through Rio Nido and Korbel (can you say mud
slide?).  You'll wind up at 101 which you take north to
Healdsbusg, heart of Sonoma County, famed California wine
region.  Go wine tasting, or just have a picnic at one of
the wineries (don't overdo the tasting, it will catch up
with you fast).

Heading North again on 101 (ugly and boring) but when you
get to Cloverdale, head west again on Hwy 128.  128 is one
of the more scenic drives anywhere.  The terrain changes
dramatically as you head northwest towards the ocean on this
winding, meandering 2 lane road.

Mountain pines give way to brief flatland as you head into
Booneville in the Anderson Valley.  Stop at the Anderson
Valley Brewing Company for some of the best microbrew on the
planet (again, use good judgement about the alcohol, buy
some in a  bottle for later). Last time I was there, there
were two immaculately restored BRG '70 MGBs parked in the
shade near the brewery.....  anybody we know?

Continue west on 128 and the valley closes in and you see
the first hints of wet, misty California redwood forest. =

The canopy continues to close in as you drive through a
tunnel of lush green.  As suddenly as you entered the
forrest, it ends and gives way to Hwy 1 again.  =

Head north through Albion and Little River until you get to
Mendocino!  Get a room at a B&B (Jenifer and I like the Blue
Heron), see the town, go shopping, take pictures, hike, walk
on the beach and relax.

North again on 1 (more traffic here) look for Hwy 20 just
before Ft. Bragg.  Ft. Bragg is an OK town, you might want
to stop in town and see some of the historic buildings and
go shopping in the little downtown area.

Then go east on 20.  Hwy. 20 is a tight, twisting, highly
technical and challenging road that jigsaws its way dead
east into the town of Willits and Hwy 101.  Nothing really
to see there, so head north.  101 is becoming more scenic at
this point as you enter the gateway to the California
redwood region.  (or, skip 20 and just take Hwy 1 north.  It
will eventually do the same thing as Hwy 20 and end in
Leggett at 101.)

Either way, head north and pass through Garberville.  There
is a great cafe there.  I forget the name, but it's on the
right at the beginning of town as you head through.  The