Rebuild Warranty Advice Needed - Long

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rebuild Warranty Advice Needed - Long
From: Christopher Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 18:00:07 -0500
Any opinion is welcome here, but I am in particularly seeking the advice =
of Lawrie, Ed, and any other listers who make a living repairing LBCs.

You will recall the thread of a few days ago concerning transmission =
lubrication.  In May of last year I installed a used overdrive =
transmission in my 77B.  The donor car was a early 70's B (mileage =
unknown).  When I installed the tranny, it was filled to spec with =
Castrol 20W50.  Shortly after completing the installation (about 250 =
miles of driving or so), the second gear synchro very suddenly stopped =
functioning. =20

Since transmission rebuilds are a bit out of my league, I opted to have =
the transmission rebuilt by a local LBC shop, with whom I have had good =
experience with, as have many others in our local club.  Upon =
disassembly, the mecahnic found that the coating applied to the gear =
taper on which the synchro rides, had become "unbonded".  A large amount =
of this coating was found in the tranny oil, it had literally fallen off =
the gear, as opposed to wearing out.

The following parts were replaced:  2nd gear, reverse idler bushing, =
mainshaft bearing, (4) synchros, and of course, all gaskets and seals.  =
Parts totalled slightly less than $300, and labor was $710.  As =
discussed in the previous thread, the mechanic used 90 wt gear oil for =
lubrication.

I put about 3,000 or so miles on the car since the rebuild, and stored =
the car for the winter.  Upon bringing the car out of storage last week, =
I took it for a spin, and noticed that third gear was acting up in a =
manner similar to 2nd gear had previously.  Based on advice given by =
many of you, it went ahead and changed the tranny oil.  By now you =
probably have guessed that the oil was again full of the same type of =
coating - obviously from 3rd gear, which was not replaced.

Now to my question:  What now?  Faced with the above situation, should =
the mechanic repair the problem under warranty?  Anyone ever encounter a =
situation like this?  How did you handle it.  I haven't been in to talk =
to the mechanic yet, but would like some advice on how to approach it.  =
I generally don't think a confrontational approach is a good way to go.  =
Is it reasonable for me to pay for the faulty parts that weren't =
replaced the first time around, and to expect him to suck up the labor?  =
Please advise.