Re: Rebuild Warranty Advice Needed - Long

To: Christopher Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Rebuild Warranty Advice Needed - Long
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 18:03:46 -0600
Christopher Delling wrote:

> Any opinion is welcome here, but I am in particularly seeking the advice of
>Lawrie, Ed, and any other listers who make a living repairing LBCs.
>
> You will recall the thread of a few days ago concerning transmission
>lubrication.  In May of last year I installed a used overdrive transmission in
>my 77B.  The donor car was a early 70's B (mileage unknown).  When I installed
>the tranny, it was filled to spec with Castrol 20W50.  Shortly after
>completing the installation (about 250 miles of driving or so), the second
>gear synchro very suddenly stopped functioning.
>
> Since transmission rebuilds are a bit out of my league, I opted to have the
>transmission rebuilt by a local LBC shop, with whom I have had good experience
>with, as have many others in our local club.  Upon disassembly, the mecahnic
>found that the coating applied to the gear taper on which the synchro rides,
>had become "unbonded".  A large amount of this coating was found in the tranny
>oil, it had literally fallen off the gear, as opposed to wearing out.
>
> The following parts were replaced:  2nd gear, reverse idler bushing,
>mainshaft bearing, (4) synchros, and of course, all gaskets and seals.  Parts
>totalled slightly less than $300, and labor was $710.  As discussed in the
>
> I put about 3,000 or so miles on the car since the rebuild, and stored the
>car for the winter.  Upon bringing the car out of storage last week, I took it
>for a spin, and noticed that third gear was acting up in a manner similar to
>2nd gear had previously.  Based on advice given by many of you, it went ahead
>and changed the tranny oil.  By now you probably have guessed that the oil was
>again full of the same type of coating - obviously from 3rd gear, which was
>not replaced.
>
> Now to my question:  What now?  Faced with the above situation, should the
>mechanic repair the problem under warranty?  Anyone ever encounter a situation
>like this?  How did you handle it.  I haven't been in to talk to the mechanic
>yet, but would like some advice on how to approach it.  I generally don't
>think a confrontational approach is a good way to go.  Is it reasonable for me
>to pay for the faulty parts that weren't replaced the first time around, and
>to expect him to suck up the labor?  P

Chris, I don't make my living repairing cars, but I have done a fes
trans jobs with success.  I believe that I could if I could find a few
customers at the labor rate that you were charged on the original tranny
job.  WOW.  At what you have already paid for labor he should definitely
stand behind it.  John