Re: Machinist's Blue

To: dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: Re: Machinist's Blue
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 08:51:44 -0600

dmeadow@juno.com wrote:

> I'm starting to reassemble the TD engine and Horst Schach's book
> describes a process using Machinist's Blue to check clearances.
>
> Where can I get this stuff easily?  Any brand names that would help me
> track it down?  The auto parts store guys just stare at me blankly when I
> ask.
>
> Yes, I know, "try a machinist's supply shop," if I can just figure out
> what a machinist's supply shop looks like and find one open on the
> weekend.

Not sure of your exact requirements, but you can try :

J&L Industrial Supply
1-800-521-9520
Their catalog shows they have a showroom at 13230 Hempstead Hwy in Houston.
Closed on Sundays, but open on Sat.plus free coffee & donuts.

They carry a couple of products that may help. One is called DYKEM Layout
fluid, drys in a few minutes and allows you
to scribe lines for machining. The other is called DYKEM High Spot Blue,
non-drying for finding high spots on bearing and gears.

Not connected with J&L just a happy customer.

Jeff