Re: Machinist's Blue

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Machinist's Blue
From: Bill Henry <wohenry@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 11:59:08 -0600
No, machinist's blue, or layout blue is not the same materiel as that
used for "blueing guns!  Machinist's blue, or layout blue is used to
mark pieces in preparation for doing machine work on them.  It is bright
blue (or sometimes other colors) and is usually soluable in either
alcohol or acetone so it can be removed if desired when the machine work
is complete.  Gun "blueing" produces a relatively permanent color on the
metal that is not sluable and requires some type of abrasive process to
remove it.  It's purpose is to provide a protectant coating on the
metal.  Back a few decades the process more of a "browning" as that was
the color of the protective coating produces.  I would guess David is
looking for the machinist's blue.

Bill Henry