Re: 1500cc engine

To: John Uselman <johnu@uwfound.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: 1500cc engine
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 17:12:11 -0500
John Uselman wrote:

> I am a novice in the British car world. However, I have a 78 midget with a
> siezed up engine.  Is it possible to change the 1500cc with a sprite 1300?

  I think you might have two engines confused.

  There is a SPITFIRE 1300 engine that is a fairly easy swap, the
1500 is essentially a stroked 1300.

  However, the sprite engine you might be thinking of is the
A series 1275 engine. It will bolt into the chassis well enough,
but you'll have to change everything else as well. It's
actually going to be a LOT of work because the engine is backwards,
so you'll need a new exhaust, plus most everything under the bonnet,
on top of the obvious carbs and transmission to go with the original
engine.

> I was told they are basically the same engine and the transmition and
> exhaust etc. would match up. Also the carb. would transfer over.
>
> Is this true?

  This is true for the spitire engine, but not the sprite engine.

  Frankly though, the 1300 spitfire engine has all the defects of
the 1500 engine and less horsepower (but you do get a little higher
revving ability).

  Replace it with another 1500 would be my advice.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/