Re: shock oil

To: ame@synaptics.com
Subject: Re: shock oil
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 18:21:57 EST
Probably cause the "proper" shock oil  - ain't!
 I think Lawrie had a post on this very thing a couple of months back,
but I either deleted it or it's gotten itself lost.
 The use of Motorcycle fork oil is an old and respected means of
adjusting (within limits) the shock rate of Armstrong shocks. Fork oil
comes in various "weights" from 20 to 50W. (not an equivilent viscosity
rating to motor oil - different testing critera) and with a bit of
experimentation, the driver can come up with the ride he/she desires.
 The pluses are the antifoam additives and the seal "sealer" additives.
 I've been running 40w Bel-Ray fork oil in my Midget for the last 5-6
years, and have yet to have a problem with seals.
 Caveat:  Unless you are into STIFF suspensions, don't use the 40w for
the street. With the autox setup on the Midget, though, it works fine.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget