Group 26 Battery fit in battery box liner??

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Group 26 Battery fit in battery box liner??
From: John Hunt <johnhunt@ece.ogi.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:57:02 -0700 (PDT)

The 6V batteries in my '68B are just about shot.  I'd like
to convert to a single 12 volt battery.

Several members of this list have said that they converted
from dual 6 volt batteries in their MGBs to single 12 volt
batteries.  A Group 26 body size battery is said to fit.

There is also talk in the list about using a battery box
liner (available from Moss and other vendors).  I bought
one of the liners last summer.  When I went to my local
battery shop I found that a Group 26 battery is too large
for the liner.  The ones that would fit looked too wimpy
so I didn't buy a new battery.  I limped along all summer
on the old 6V batteries.

I didn't try to fit the Group 26 in the car without the liner,
but it did look like it would just fit.

I suspect that what most people do is use a Group 26 battery
in the passenger side battery cavity without using the liner.
If they have a liner, I suppose they use it on the other side
for a bonus storage area.  Or maybe they use it as intended
(as a liner for a 6V battery).

Has anyone on the list converted to a single 12 volt battery
and used the battery box liner to hold the battery??

If so, do you recall what size battery you used?
Has it proved to be adequate?

John Hunt
Portland, OR.

'68B which probably will need a new battery when it comes out
of storage this May.