Re: See john weld.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: See john weld.
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 09:57:15 -0500

ejrussell@sprynet.com wrote:

> You might be able to learn to weld from a book. Or do what I did: take an
>adult
> ed class at a vocational-technical school. Reasonable price, expert
>instruction,
> practice with different machines & materials etc. YMMV, I found it worthwhile.
>

> From: code5 <code5@ibm.net>
> Subject: See john weld. Crackle crackle..
>
> Hello all-
> Q--What's the difference between mig welding and voodoo?
> A--I don't know.
>
> Anybody know of any good, basic, straightforward and preferably
> well-illustrated books on how to mig weld for beginners?

 I agree on the vocational class, unfortunately my local vocational courses are
geared towards acquiring a welding certification. They offer 3 seperate classes
on
MIG welding: horizontal, vertical and overhead. I couldn't  imagine spending an
entire semester on each of these subjects, so I picked up the following self
instruction materials:

"Learning MIG Welding Instructional Video" by SIP, available for around $25.00
from
J.C. Witney (I think they list it as just a instructional welding video).
Excellent
instructional video, covers everything from setting up the welder to welding
techniques. The accompanying booklet is written by non other than Lindsey
Porter.

Haynes "Welding Manual". The same people that publish the shop manuals put this
book
out. It covers Gas, Arc, MIG, TIG welding as well as plasma cutting. Good in
depth
instruction on each of these welding types. I picked mine up at PEP boys, ~$12

Practice: Absolutely. I just started welding up the repair panels for my sill
replacement. I spend the last year or so practising off and on on scrap
shetmetal
until I got to the point I could make a pretty good weld with the different
thicknesses I would be working with. It's like anything else, practise is fine
but
the real test is on actual parts. It took awhile but my welds started looking
like
they should.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,