Re: See john weld.

To: Jeff Fayne <fayne@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: See john weld.
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 14:35:32 -0400
One thing I wanted to add to this thread, if it's the same
thread I think it was. I forgot what list this was on, so I
was waiting for it to resurface.

  Anyways, if this is the thread where the original poster had
better luck with self-sheilded wire than with the gas kit, there
is something important to try.

  Set the welder up to the wire speed you are going to use, turn
it on, and pinch the wire with your bare fingers (keep all metal
and grounds away so no welding occurs).

  Squeeze the trigger and feel the wire coming out, it has
to be pretty much silky smooth.

  When I first installed the gas kit, I couldn't weld anything for
the first 2 minutes, because the wire and new liner too a few
feet of wire to "get to know" each other. The wire was actually
binding and then releasing so it was coming out in quick 1/8th
inch steps. The net effect was like trying to weld with a machine
gun, instead of a bead I'd just get a string of "zaps" with a
ball of metal each time.

  This problem can occur when you switch, because you are using
a new liner and a much thinner wire than with innershield. Check this
out before you spend big bucks on courses. I found gas-MIG welding
to be ridiculously simple compared to innershield welding, and I think
this is what most people have experienced.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/