Distributor woes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Distributor woes
From: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 19:47:59 -0400 (EDT)
I just put the distributor back in my 74 mgb. (72 engine) I have never had the
car running since I've had it.  I have had the distributor apart. The Bentley
manual I have instructs you to turn the crank until the valves for #4 cylinder
are "rocking" and at this position No. 1 cylinder should be at top dead center,
which it is.

My problem is the mark on the crank pulley is 180 degress opposite the timing
scale teeth.(why are the timing teeth at the bottom? With this set up wouldn't
you need two people to use a timing light?)
Shouldn't the timing mark line up with the timing teeth in this
psoition?  Does it matter? When I rotate the crank to get the pulley timing
mark lined up with the timing teeth, then cylinders 2 and 3 are top dead center.

Do I have a problem? If so, help