Fuel System - 1980 MGB LE

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fuel System - 1980 MGB LE
From: prsmith@navnet.net
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 06:48:59 -0300
G'day folks!

I have a black 1980 MGB LE which is named Black Beauty or just Beauty.
Beauty has a Zenith Stromberg carb.  I bought the car in Denver so i
assume it is a US federal model.

Haynes (Chapt 3 Section 29) describes how to fill the dashpot with oil.
Para 2 talks about the air temperature control.  What is this device?  Why
do we have to remove it and the air cleaner to put oil in the dashpot?  Is
it just not a simple procedure of unscrewing the cap and pouring in the
oil?  Curious minds need to know.

My second question concerns a piece if gear that I can not identify.  Just
aft of the servo attached to the inboard side of the pedal box is small
device which is about 1.25" by 1.25".  It has one black and one yellow
wire attached to the bottom of it.  On top is a vaccuum tube which runs to
the gulp aft.  On the front side of this device is a another tube that has
a right ange in it and terminates who knows where - it is disconnected. So
my questions are: 1) what is this device and 2) where is the tube supposed
to terminate?

Thanks

Preston