RE: More questions for the wise ones

To: "'Kevin Richards'" <flybirds@erols.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: More questions for the wise ones
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:37:31 -0400
Kevin Richards wrote:

> Well, I took a look at that "65" B and it turns out by the
> VIN #'s that it is a 65 engine in a 67 shell. Refitted the
> engine from a wrecked car into a 67 shell. This was learned
> after a little prying into the history of the car. Is the
> 1800 that is stamped on the left (intake) side of the engine
> indicative of the 3 main engine? I definitely know that it
> has that casting mark.

No ... the 1800 casting mark is not unique to the 3-main engines
... what is unique is the mechanical tach drive.  The 18G/GA
3-main engines are machined to accept the mechanical tack drive
on the LH side at the top rear ... check the Moss/VB catalog for
the pic of the drive ... the 18GB ('65 - '67) and later 5-main
engines don't have the machining for the tach drive.

> If so, is this a desirable engine to have as a spare for my 77?

IMHO, nope ... the front engine mounting is different ... one
might work around this, but a late model 18V engine is a more
suitable candiate.

> If not, is it saleable to the MG market at Carlisle? along
>with a truckload of spare bits?

Absolutely!!! ... however, I think that the list deserves first
crack at the bits before you haul them off to Carlilse ... ;^)
Perhaps we could pick up the bits from you when at Carlisle ...
save shipping costs.

Oh ... advise on what bits to bring to Carlisle ... *everything*,
'cause one man's junk is another man's treasure'.

> Advice appreciated Oh Wise Ones

I don't consider myself one of the "Wise Ones", but that never
stopped me from replying to a post ... ;^)

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII