Re: Brake Drum Removal

To: Harris Goldstein <hgoldstein@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Drum Removal
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 19:34:06 +0000
Harris Goldstein wrote:

> I'm having a difficult time removing my brake drums.  After removing the
> drum retaining screws, it still doesn't want to come off.  The shoes
> shouldn't be too tight, since the wheel turns easily by hand.  Any
> suggestions.

I have found a sure-fire way is to put a little leverage on the drum with a
screwdriver wedged between drum and backplate while tapping on the end of the
axle
with a soft hammer (I use the aluminium end of my wheel spinner hammer).
Tapping the
axle in shocks the drum off.  You may also need to back off the adjusters to
clear
any wear groove as mentioned elsewhere.

PaulH.