Re: Wish I'd known

To: Simon Westbrook <simon@sageinc.com>
Subject: Re: Wish I'd known
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 19:57:19 +0000
Simon Westbrook wrote:

> Hi,
> Ive just discovered the mgs@autox, I wish I'd known about it when I
> started the restoration of my 1979 MGB.
>
>         I have just got everything back together and it runs great. the only
> problem is that the fuel and temperature gages are both totally idle,
> even when I know there is fuel in the tank, and I can feel the engine is
> hot after running!  I have replaced the temp sender unit and both
> instruments used to work before I took the engine out. I did not mess
> about under the dash (and looking up behind the dash I dont think it
> would be a good idea!)  In what may be a connected problem I have blown
> about half a dozen 25amp fuses over the last two weeks (in the second
> breaker from the bottom - the one that supports the ignition related
> components like wipers and rev counter.)
>
> I read in the book that both these instruments make use of a voltage
> stabilizer. Could this be a problem and how should I test it? Or does
> anyone have any suggestions.
>
> Thanks for your help anyone who has any ideas!
>
> Simon

The second fuse from bottom controls the instument 'stabiliser' as it is on the
green
circuit.  Use a voltmeter to check the two terminals on the stabiliser - one
should be
at a constant 12v and the other should switch between 12v and 0v a couple of
times a
second (it will take a couple of seconds after switching on the ignition for it
start doing this).  But first, fix your short.

PaulH.