RE: Static timing accuracy

To: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com
Subject: RE: Static timing accuracy
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:09:47 -0700 (PDT)

---"KILE, PAUL D" <Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com> wrote:

> Bill Eastman makes some good points here, and setting the timing the
way
> he describes works very well (especially with modified vehicles).  One
> problem, though, for those of us who live in places like California
with
> draconian emissions laws.
>
> If you try to set the timing as Bill describes on your 1974 or later
MG,
> and you take it in for your dreaded Smog Test, chances are you will
> FAIL, and may be branded a GROSS POLLUTER!  The state can make your
life
> miserable after that.

Paul,
As a fellow Californian, do you have any info. or horror stories about
'B's going through Smog Check II? I am unfortunate enough to have a 74
(the last year not exempted--life isn't fair) and am due in July.
You know, of course, that the state can dictate that up to %15 of all
cars are required to go to "Test Only" stations, and I'm curious if
they have identified 'B's as being in that cozy group of potential
GROSS POLLUTERS.
I've heard that these particular examiners are ruthless, and have
unlimited power over our MG futures.
Any stories, anyone?

Jim
'74 B