Rostyle Restoration (sorta long)

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rostyle Restoration (sorta long)
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 16:07:16 -0500
Just wanted to pass along my Rostyle resto process and results to the list,
(tooting my horn, since it looks great) The subject's been covered so much
and I've heard folks spending a ton of money on this when its really easy to
do, and NO Moss mask!

1) I found an old Rostyle at a junkyard (spare still in the trunk) - $25,
had the tire removed for free.
2) Took the wheel to a sandblasting company - $10. It looked so good then I
thought about clear-coating it! One might try to bribe a local high school
shop teacher for 1/2 hour use of the sandblaster to save $ - a monkey could
do it in a cabinet!
3) One can of Krylon gray primer, ($2.70), sprayed all over.
4) One 6 oz. can of "plasti-kote" GM 7184 dark silver ($3), again, all over,
3 coats, let sit 24 hours. The 6 oz. can is probably enough for 2 wheels.
5) one can of Wal-mart Satin Black (~$1.70) and a roll of 3M automotive
masking tape (the good stuff! $2.60) This tape was true as advertised, very
clean lines.
6) Sat down and watched Meet the Press (Sunday morning comedy) and masked
off the wheel, using a mini-utility knife (xacto type would work) to trim
along the proper contours where the black should be.
7) sprayed the black, two coats, and voila!
8) BE CAREFUL ABOUT pulling the tape off (duh)...I screwed up and lifted a
small piece of silver paint during the "unveiling". "Baking" with a hair
dryer or heat gun came to mind, for the perfectionists.

The wheel looks like new!, and the color looks "right" its not too bright
and shiny - has a nice grayish subtle tone, I guess the jury will be out on
the color, its slightly darker than the wheels on the car, but who knows
what color was used for them. The Wal-mart black is perfect, though any
satin black would do. Yes, 50 bucks, but I've got left over paint and
expensive masking tape to do other stuff.

Dan
'73 B