Re: How can you tell what size the pistons are on a 1966 MGB

To: Dirk de Boer <deboer@duke.usask.ca>
Subject: Re: How can you tell what size the pistons are on a 1966 MGB
From: Albert F Jones <fisher@hctc.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:48:33 -0500
Hello Dirk,

        The standard bore is supposed to be 3.159".  Trevor is right, every
over-size piston I have ever seen is marked on top i.e. .020, .030 on up to
.060.  If you have the pistons out, thoroughly clean the tops and you
should find it.  Sometimes they even have STD stamped on them.

        If you intend a long relationship with LBCs make the acquaintance of a
trustworthy and reliable machinist.  You probably don't have a set of
inside mics., but he/she will!  Take the block and the pistons to him/her,
have him/her make the measurements, figure out the proper clearances, then
and only then, start ordering parts.  This procedure saves you a lot of
time and money.  I live 70 miles from my machinist, and I wouldn't order a
set of pistons untill I've seen him.

        Regards  Fisher