Re: How can you tell what size the pistons are on a 1966 MGB

To: deboer@duke.usask.ca
Subject: Re: How can you tell what size the pistons are on a 1966 MGB
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:45:56 EDT
The piston diameter will be basically the bore diameter minus the piston
clearance.
 I say basically, because the piston, depending on make and design, may
have more than one diameter, and/or may in fact be oval in shape.
 But for your and our purposes, we can accept the bore diameter as the
piston diameter, again less clearances.
 Without a parts number cross-reference, the numbers inside the pistons
won't help much.
 But most pistons have the oversize stamped on the piston crown (top),
usually something such as "20", "30",or "40" for +0.020, +0.030, or
+0.040 oversize pistons respectively.
  The problem is not so  much what is in there now, as what is going to
be required to bring clearances back to spec. And with that much skirt
clearance, you can count on a bore job.
 The machinist should measure the existing bore, checking for taper and
determine just how much wear has taken place, and then, based on the std.
bore diminision, determine how much overbore will be required.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget