RE: Alternator and Airpump follies- what's ok for smog?

To: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>,
Subject: RE: Alternator and Airpump follies- what's ok for smog?
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 18:29:12 -0700 (PDT)

---john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu> wrote:

> Well,
>
> I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that the vehicles are
completely
> exempt from smog regulations. However, if someone is certain on the
issue
> I would certainly like to hear what the straight skinny is.

> On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Andrew Errington wrote:
> >  At any
> > rate, now that I can lawfully get rid of the smog crap (Cali
exempted my
> > '70 this year for ever YIPPEEE!), I will pack it up in a box and
store it
> > someplace in the garage.

> > Are you sure you can take the smog stuff off?  AFAIK you are
exempt from
> > the 2-yearly test requirement, but you must still maintain the smog
> > equipment and you are not legally allowed to tamper with that.

Sorry Listers,

Andy's right for California cars, even pre-1974. Though 1973 and
before cars are now exempt from Smog Check II, they are still required
to maintain the stock pollution control equipment in good order. That
means you can still be cited for deficiencies.

It will be interesting to see how this can be enforced. There is some
question whether police officers have the right to inspect cars for
equipment violations during traffic stops, but if the CHP ever
commences again their streetside inspection programs (remember the
70's, when they would set up shop under bridges and around blind
corners?) you could be in trouble.

Jim
'74B