Re: speedo, Speedo Tech 101, 102, 201, 202

To: Engelhardt <engel@metro.net>, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: speedo, Speedo Tech 101, 102, 201, 202
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 18:09:51
At 11:32 AM 4/23/98 -0700, Ron Engelhardt wrote:
>..... Have you ever found a source for the fiber odometer gears? I need a
couple but my local speedo shop refuses to sell parts over the counter.

Welcome to the wonderful world of reality.  It is obvious that the speedo
repair shop(s) would rather have your $100 for repair than your $5 for
parts, and they're not shy about it.

It has been the concensus of opinions on this list that the new parts are
not available, and that the repair shops would be using either a very small
supply of NOS parts or used parts.  I rather favor the used parts theory,
as for me, two professional repairs have each failed in about 40,000 miles
of use, after the original speedometer lasted for well over 100,000 miles.

To the best of my knowledge, only used bits would be available, and those
are getting more rare with time.  Sorry, no good news.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude