Re: Smoking 73 BGT

To: danray@bluegrass.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Smoking 73 BGT
From: RJohn50603 <RJohn50603@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 07:57:16 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-24 17:32:58 EDT, danray@bluegrass.net writes:

<< Alan,
 If my limited mechanical knowledge serves me correctly:
 Black = fuel (too much), timing or both
 White = water (head gasket)
 Bluish white = oil burning (bad rings,etc.)
 (tell me if I'm wrong here, folks, cuz I'd enjoy the education)
 So I'd check those carbs first! The compression #s aren't that bad. Mine are
 much lower(bad head), but the other components are in good order so the car
 runs pretty good, just not as much hp as it could have.
 Hope this helps.

 Dan
 '73 B >>

Dan,

You are correct. To expand on your comment just a bit, though...

While white smoke could be head gasket, it could also be a cracked head or
engine block. Being an optimist, I always try the head gasket first. Most of
the time, that's it.

Blue smoke under power, usually rings. Big puff when applying power after
idle, valve guides.

R. Johnson - Dallas