Smoking 73 BGT

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Smoking 73 BGT
From: "BIDGOOD, ALAN" <BIDGOODA@pab22a.ssd.loral.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:09:00 -0700
Hi again

I just recently bought a 1973 MGBGT in need of much
restoration and attention.

On driving it home (it runs!) my wife was following and
noticed a fair amount of black smoke from the exhaust
when I accelerated.  I immediately thought oH no not the
piston rings etc.

Anyway a bit of background this car has been sitting for
about 2-3 years, the previous owner claimed he started it
up every two months or so.  The oil looks pretty dirty,
the car seems to run ok. the plugs are black.

I checked the compression 'dry' last night, but the engine
was cold.  I got  120, 105, 110, 115 psi, which is not great,
but is this bad enough to cause the smoking, or are the carbs
just set too rich.  Obviously I need to put in fresh oil etc. before
I consider further driving etc..

Which direction should I be directing my efforts.  I really don't
want to have major engine work, (obviuosly) - partly because
this is the first MG I have come across that doesn't leave
oil drips on the garage floor (yes there is oil in it)

Thanks again for any comments.

Alan B.'
1978 Roadster (no smoke from exhaust)
1973 MGBGT (Smokin!)