1500 Midget, front end shake

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1500 Midget, front end shake
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 08:39:57 EDT
Was driving Miss Molly yesterday at about 60 MPH (by the speedo), 3000
RPMs (by the tach) on the interstate, when the front end began to shake
(judder?).  I pulled over, checked to make sure that the lugs were tight,
and that nothing else was obviously amiss, and found nothing.  Pulled
back on to the road and resumed speed, no recurrence.  Checked the road
surface to make sure I hadn't gotten into a 'tire groove' that would
cause the shake; there was none.  When I got home, I lifted the front end
and am getting a bit of movement on the left front tire when I press in
on the top and bottom alternately (maybe a 32d of an inch or less).

Wheel bearings?  Kingpins?  Gremlins?  Suggestions?

Further, the tie rod ends seem to be sealed units (without a zerk/grease
fitting).  Pressing on the seals, I do not feel any grease behind them.
My experience with sealed suspension parts is minimal; is this normal?
Is it possible or advisable to install a grease fitting here?

Also, the grease fitting for the lower arm is only on one side; seems
like the grease can't get all the way through.  Is it possible or
advisable to install another grease fitting here?

Thanks!

Rich