Re: 1500 Midget, front end shake

To: "Richard D. Arnold" <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Subject: Re: 1500 Midget, front end shake
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 08:28:25 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 4 May 1998, Richard D. Arnold wrote:

> cause the shake; there was none.  When I got home, I lifted the front end
> and am getting a bit of movement on the left front tire when I press in
> on the top and bottom alternately (maybe a 32d of an inch or less).
>
> Wheel bearings?  Kingpins?  Gremlins?  Suggestions?

If you are getting 1/32 at the TIRE, that is minimal and should be the
cause of your problem.

> Further, the tie rod ends seem to be sealed units (without a zerk/grease
> fitting).  Pressing on the seals, I do not feel any grease behind them.
> My experience with sealed suspension parts is minimal; is this normal?
> Is it possible or advisable to install a grease fitting here?

I think some people have inserted grease through the boot with a syringe
and needle.  I prefer to leave it alone until it develops play.

> Also, the grease fitting for the lower arm is only on one side; seems
> like the grease can't get all the way through.  Is it possible or
> advisable to install another grease fitting here?

Yes, I have done this on two sets so far with good results.  The fulcrum
is hollow so the grease is supposed to be able to get to the other side as
well, but I think the tiny hole can get plugged up with old grease.
SInce you are installing the fitting into a thin sheetmetal disk, be
careful when tapping and threading the nipple in.

                                                           '67 Sprite