Re: TD Information

To: tr6@pipeline.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TD Information
From: JMerz140 <JMerz140@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 14:58:16 EDT
Ron,  Here are the best answers I can give:
1. A friend of mine has an MG garage and uses one of thos engine holders that
you described.   He uses some hardened bolts that thread into the block bell
housing area but I dont have the foggiest idea where he got them.  Even with
those bolts, I'd be a little squeamish about heavy torqueing on some of the
main and rod bolts.
2. The rear engine mount bracket should have parallel front and rear sides
that are verticle and perpendicular to the frame.  This is a common bending
problem.  As a matter of fact, I remember seeing a "fix" published in the
NEMGT Register publication called The Sacred Octagon.  The fix was to drill a
hole on each side of the bracket from front to back and install a couple of
bolts and nuts to prevent the spreading.
3.  I used the weight of the engine to hold the frame while I jacked up one
side to compress the spring.  Then I removed the lower bolt from the spindle
or king pin and slowly lowered the jack to remove the spring.  I also know a
guy who braced the frame against the ceiling to do the jacking maneuver.  He
had removed the engine and didn't have the weight he needed to hold the frame
down.
Hope I helped,  Jim