Re: TD Information

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <tr6@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: TD Information
From: ray.rockwell@wg.com
Date: Mon, 04 May 98 15:00:09 -0500
     Per Horst Schach's book, I mounted my engine to the four tranny holes.
     I used four of the 8mm rocker bracket bolts. They were too short, so I
     hack sawed about 1/4" off each of the four stand 'spacers'. I have the
     entire engine on the stand now less the cyl head. I am able to turn
     engine 360 degress, however I should have greased the stand sleeve
     before mounting the engine.

     My rear tranny mount does not have straight sides. They flare out
     about 10 degrees on both front and rear.

     Horst Schach's book shows a picture of a movable floor jack with chain
     around it and the suspension. As you jack up the suspension, the chain
     compresses the coil spring.

     Hope this helps, Ray

Well I finally removed the engine and transmission from the frame and have
come up with some more questions that I'm sure someone can help me out with.

1. Has anyone mounted a TD engine to one of those US style engine stands
where the engine is bolted to the stand using the transmission mounting
bolts holes?  These bolts look a little small to support the weight of the
engine. I would appreciate anyone's advise who has actually done this or
has any other methods to recommend.

2. I believe my support bracket for the rear rubber mounts (under the
transmission) is damaged. The front and back sides (towards the front and
rear of the car) of mine look to be bent out. Can anyone tell me if these
sides are supposed to be straight?

3. I am now ready to remove the front suspension and would like some advise
on the proper procedure.  I don't see any way to use a spring compressor to
compress the coil spring before removing the  assembly from the frame.

Thanks for any help.

Ron Olds