Re: Looking for parts

To: Skye Poier <skye@hoth.ffwd.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Looking for parts
From: Albert F Jones <fisher@hctc.net>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 12:51:49 -0500
Hello Skye,

        follows a copy of the message I wrote to Ben.  As you can see, I am
saying
use Datsun wheels and domestic lug nuts.

        As far as I know, Datsun does not make a mini lite copy.  They have
several patterns of alloy wheels.  If they did you couldn't find them
anyway, because racers would have bought them all up.

        Fisher (Albert F.(for Fisher) Jones)

Hello Ben,

        We have a '72 and an '80 B with Datsun wheels on both.  The lug nut
holes
have two steps in them, the one at the bottom of the hole next to the drum,
or hub, is less than 1/8" thick.  The next one is 1" or less up and is an
inset from the outer surface of the wheel.  This inset is made to hold a
thick washser.  This is the load bearing surface of the wheel, not the
lower (thin) step.  The lug nuts you use must, of course, have the right
thread and size, but their length is essential, since you do not want them
to bottom out on the lower step.  They must  have a flat surface to bear on
the thick washer next to the wheel.  This all sounds more involved than it
really is.  The lug nuts we use come from a local hot rod shop.  They are
not expensive, $2.00 or $3.00.  I once bought a set of mini lites for my
bug eye race car and the guy wouldn't sell me the lug nuts.  I later found
out they were $6.00 each.  There are a lot of Datsun wheels out there and
they are a lot less than mini lites.

        Hope this helps.  Good hunting.

        Fisher