Re: Rechroming

To: Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Subject: Re: Rechroming
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 13:06:03 -0500
Ben Ruset wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience rechroming a luggage rack for a B?
>
> About what should I expect to spend? Would it make more sense to just buy a
> new one?
>
> The lid I have now is pitted -- wouldn't look too nice on the new paint I
> have.
>
> BEN RUSET - ICQ # 10364973
> The MGB Haven & MG Cars Webring
>
> http://members.home.com/mgbhaven

Depends a lot on the quality of the job that you want.  Much of the cost
is in the preparation, which would include clearing up the pits.  The
more prep, the more cost.  Good work also includes layers of copper,
nickel, and chrome.  cheaper work will skip layers and prep work, which
means that the plating will be less durable and you will see
underlaying  defects through the plating.  Look in the services section
of Hemmings.  You probable don't want show chrome, but something like
the "level two" advertised by one reputable outfit in PA.  John