Re: MG Title

To: Rick Morrison <gofastmg@juno.com>
Subject: Re: MG Title
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 20:43:27 -0500
Rick Morrison wrote:

> On Wed, 06 May 1998 21:37:51 -0500 Susan and John Roper
> <vscjohn@iamerica.net> writes:
> >Kevin Richards wrote:
> >>
> >> Just a quick question to the listers.
> >>
> >> I wanted to know the "legality" of selling the title of an old
> >rotten
> >> hulk to someone who needs a title for a car they are restoring that
> >does
> >> not have (or cannot track down) the title.
> >>
> >> If it is illegal, what type of offense is it??
> >> federal??
> >>
> >> Just curious
> >It is a federal crime to switch data plates from one car to another,
> >which you would have to do in order to use the title from another
> >vehicle.  I suspect that there are a lot of "criminals" out there.
> >John
>
> Does this make the use of a Heritage body shell, using the VIN plate from
> the "donor" car, a federal offense?
>
>  Inquiring minds want to know
> Rick Morrison
> 72 MGBGT
> 74 Midget
I don't believe so, in that you have not moved a data plate and thus VIN
from one vehicle to another and thus changed the VIN of the second
vehicle to that of the first.  The heritage body shell is not a vehicle
and to my knowledge has no VIN assigned. It is mearly a replacement
part, albeit a large one.  John