Re: Exhaust line install questions

To: "Philip Hubbard" <phubbard@carroll.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Exhaust line install questions
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 21:40:51 -0400
Hi, Philip!  The flanges of the manifold and downpipe do not fit together
tightly.  There is a doughnut gasket about 3/8" thick that fits between
them.  The metal-covered side of this doughnut is toward the manifold.  The
downpipe has a "steady brace" that attaches to the pipe about six inches
behind where the curve of the pipe transitions to the straight section to
the muffler.  This brace consists of two pieces:  a ring clamp that goes
around the pipe, and a piece attached to the lower two bolts of the gearbox
bellhousing.  The two pieces of the "steady brace" are connected by a bolt.

I don't have any info about the second muffler at the rear, since my car
has never had one of those installed since I've owned it.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain

----------
> From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
> To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net; mgs@Autox.Team.Net
> Subject: Exhaust line install questions
> Date: Thursday, May 07, 1998 1:09 AM
>
> Listers,
>
> Well, this evening I started putting in my new front pipe and muffler and
> so I naturally have a few questions.  Context-I'm installing this in a
1974
> Midget which used to have a header and straight pipe in it.  Now I'm
> putting in the stock exhaust manifold and resonator box/muffler set up.
>
> I put the exhaust manifold in a night or two ago with no worries.
Tonight