Re: Clutch

To: WSpohn4 <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 10:18:08 -0600
WSpohn4 wrote:

> >If you aren't putting a new clutch in an MGB every few years,
> > then you're not driving it enough to really worry about how long the >engine
> will last.
>
>   Keith, if you have to replace the clutch every couple of years, you're
> flogging the car.  If you want to do that, fine, but it's not what most
> of us are doing.  And you don't need to adopt a patronizing tone about
> it.
> - --
>   Charley Robinson>>
>
> Charley, he would not only be flogging the car, but he wouldn't really know
> how to drive it in the first place. Clutch discs wear when you start the car
> out and must slip the clutch. They also wear when you bang shifts and are
> sloppy doing drag racing starts. I have never worn a clutch disc out in my
> race car, and believe me, I do flog it for all it is worth. I just shift
> carefully and accurately, which doesn't give rise to much wear.
>
> Bill S.

  Hi Bill,

   I've done some racing myself and one thing I know is that if you
don't finish, you can't win.  In my view there's a line between
"spirited driving" and abusing the machine.  I've known guys that
believe they need to run along at 5K instead of shifting up.  Go figure.
--
  Charley Robinson
  Kerrville, TX, USA