Re: running temp yet again

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: running temp yet again
From: Lane Rollins <laner@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 06:52:05 -0800
>Okay, I was convinced that my B was meant to run on the warm side of the
>"N" of the gauge - 76 MGB.  I drained the water / antifreeze mixture and
>ran it three times with water only.  Each time it got to the same spot -
>just past the N.  So I get a thermometer and stick it inside the
>radiator while the car is running.  Lo and behold the thing says 182 deg
>F.  I have a 180 thermostat.  So is either the sending unit or the gauge
>bad?  Once again, yellow plas. fan w/elec. fan for backup, new t'stat,
>new hoses, new radiator cap, and a line bypassing the (removed for
>recoring) heater.
>Thanks for following.........
>--
>Tyson Sherman
>http://www.tecinfo.com/~tsherman

I would guess that they are just fine. If you really want it to be right on
the N you can adjust the gauge. WARNING: the following is from memory, and
before the morning coffee use at your own risk. If you look at the back of
the gauge there are two holes. If you look in the holes you will see a
strip of metal running at an angle from the top center of the guage. From
what I understand they control the high and low limits of the guage. By
moving the bottom of the two strip in or out you can adjust the guage, it
doesn't take much. With the guage removed, take a clip lead from the guage
to the body to supply the ground, then bring the engine up to running temp
check with the thermometer and make the adjustment. My 70B the guage used
to come up maybe halfway to the N before it boiled over, using this basic
procedure I got it closer to correct. If it's close but a little on the
high side if N I personally wouldn't worry about it. Now that look back up
I'm not sure what kind of guage it is, this would work with the temp guage
introduced in '68.

-Lane