Re: Oil Filters

To: RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Oil Filters
From: "Jerry Causey" <jcausey@whidbey.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 19:41:38 -0800
> . . . Someone posted a few days ago that the NAPA 1068
> filter(same as a Wicks) had an antidrain valve and stopped this problem.  I
> checked one out at the autoparts at lunch and looking down the barrel it
>looked
> the same as any other filter.

I think the anti-drain bit is the Black Rubbery Thing inside the ring
of smaller holes on the rim of the filter. It acts like a flapper
valve -- the incoming oil has enough pressure to push past the BRT.
When the engine is turned off the BRT flops (or flaps) down over the
little holes and prevents the oil from draining out of the cannister.
Your oil filter mount should have an extension tube that sticks up
inside the big hole in the filter to keep the oil from flowing out
that orifice.

Regards,
Jerry