Oil Filters

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil Filters
From: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 12:43:42 -0400 (EDT)
On my 74 B I noticed the same 3-5 second delay for the oil pressure to come up
when starting the car. Someone posted a few days ago that the NAPA 1068
filter(same as a Wicks) had an antidrain valve and stopped this problem.  I
checked one out at the autoparts at lunch and looking down the barrel it looked
the same as any other filter.

The box said "anti-drain valve where applicable".  The guy at the desk said the
box was generic and that filter did not have an anti-drain valve.  He showed me
a NAPA filter for an '98 Escort with an anti-drain valve in it.  It is clearly
visible an inch or so above the threads.

The threads on the Escort oil filter measure the same inside diameter as the
NAPA 1068.  Would there be any difference in the threads themselves?
The autoparts put a call in to the NAPA tech rep to get some more info.
Hopefully, I can report to the list something constructive by the weekend.

Hate to have the engine starving for oil on start-up.