(longish) B Tach Troubles help? again? - was RE: Lucas Troubleshooting

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Art Pfenninger" <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject: (longish) B Tach Troubles help? again? - was RE: Lucas Troubleshooting
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 18:08:23 -0500
Art,
Great, I'd love a copy! I fixed the starting problem (bad solenoid) and the
tail light problem (loose connector in the trunk).
At least they are breaking in sequence and not all at once. I think I'll
order the Lucas book next parts order.

NOW I'm working on the Tach. And I've studied and multimetered this time!
but I'm struggling here.

    Maybe someone can help me, the poor sod who doen't know jack about
electrical troubleshooting.
    I tested the coil wire that provides impulse to the tach all the way to
the Tach. It's good (~4.6V at idle, increase when revved). The ground post
that connects the three black wires is showing good ground too. Is the tach
ground possibly the problem? That would seem unlikely, but I can't find the
tach ground in that hard to get at cave.
    Has my tach given up the ghost internally? It seems doubtful that the
tach is bad only because it worked fine one minute, then nothing the next.
    Ok, so how do I test the tach in place? check the tach's unique ground?
What detail am I missing? sigh....
    My map and trunk light also quit working, but this may not be related,
since I KNOW they both have flaky switches/grounds, and I don't SEE a
commonality, but that doesn't mean anything. The guage illumination bulbs
work too.
    I've studied the circuit diagram in the Haynes and it looks like a
failure in any other portion of that loop would cause other things to fail,
ie, the coil, solenoid, etc.
Something still tells me it's not the tach internal,
    Thanks!
I know I'm a burden, but I'm trying to contribute on other threads once I've
learned stuff, and trying not to make the same mistakes twice.

Dan
'73 B still happy with it's daily exercise

From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
To: Dan Ray <danray@bluegrass.net>