Suspension Failures

To: keithw@sand.net
Subject: Suspension Failures
From: "Henry D. Reynolds" <hdr@ross.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 03:15:49 -0500 (CDT)
Oooh! Late one night I had the wheel bearings (inner) fail on a 1970 MGB on
the Freeway in Houston! I drove about a mile and pulled off the road and
let the Very HOT brakes cool down. then drove another couple of miles
home.

The hot bearing metal braised the hub onto the swivel axel and it took me
three days and 2 pullers to get it off.

What I finally had was a swivel axle that was so badly mushroomed that I
needed a socket to keep the puller centered inside the wire wheel hub, and
i was using a five foot galvanized pipe for a cheater. All this just so I
could continue to tighten the puller and keep it centered on the swivel
axle.

After the second puller was on the car overnight and several cans of
penetrating oil and multiple hammer blows had been applied to the hub.

It finally came off... there was a tremendous crack and the hub, disk,
puller, socket, alignment socket (same one that fits on the crank pulley
nut), breaker-bar, and 5 foot pipe went flying across the drive and landed
8 FEET AWAY!

needless to say I had to renew the hub and the swivel axle.

--
- FIRST, I'm covering you with OLIVE OIL and PRUNE WHIP!!
Henry D. Reynolds           hdr@jump.net