bumperettes etc..

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: bumperettes etc..
From: Skye Poier <skye@hoth.ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 08:27:00 -0700
I'm going to be asking a lot of questions in the months to come so be
prepared :)  I'm going over every square centimeter of my new baby....

So, last night I pulled out the grille for a good cleaning.  The putz that
painted it last (red over the original BRG) got overspray everywhere,
including on most of the brightwork.  Someone mentioned a product that
would dissolve paint.. I tried a little paint thinner but it didn't have
much effect.  If there is a low-cost secret household chemical that will
do the same thing as a $$ commercial product by all mean share the wisdom.

Note:  Brasso is wicked :)  Works much much better than the Autosol stuff
I had, I like the fact that it cleans really well at the same time.
Follow the directions though, you get a much better shine if you wipe it
off before its fully dried.

Okay, next question.. I tried to get the bumperettes (I think thats what
they are called) off on the front, I see its just a single bolt.  Of
course they are rusted all to hell, and while taking one off, I heard a
large POP and upon looking inside with the trusty maglight, saw that
the bolt on the inside was turning freely.  Bah.  Is this supposed to be
a captive nut?  How the heck am I supposed to get the bolt out?  Its
soaking in a bit of WD40 right now (as is the other side).  Will a
box end wrench reach in there?  It doesn't look like it.  If it is supposed
to be welded on, how do you get around and back?

For some reason there is no oil cooler.. bah!  I will have to check the
spin-on oil filter adapter and see if there is even a connector :P  Where
is the other connection exactly?  At the back of the engine somewhere?

Cheers
Skye

--
1966 MGB                GHN3L-70307