Re: Adjusting mixture with cleaners on

To: bk996@freenet.carleton.ca (Eric R. Stephen), mga@ffwd.bc.ca
Subject: Re: Adjusting mixture with cleaners on
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 08:57:11
At 08:34 AM 5/18/98 -0400, Eric R. Stephen wrote:

>..... trouble leaning out my mixture.  Tune up is complete mixture was
adjusted and carbs synchronized. Put on the K&N's and the car is now
running rich.  I've turned the adjustment nut clockwise two flats each so
far and have not noticed any appreciable change in the rpms when lifting
the pin.  Should the air cleaners make that much of a difference?
>1960 MGA Roadster

By your by-line, I presume you're talking MGA here.  The original MGA air
intake bug screens have virtually no restriction.  So, even though the K&N
filters are renown for low restriction, they may well be more restrictive
than the original air cleaners, and certainly more restrictive than no air
cleaners.  Try a few more flats on the mixture adjustment if necessary, and
be sure you're turning it in the right direction for more lean.  Things
don't always look the same with the air cleaners in place, and if you use
your other hand you may inadvertently be turning it in the wrong direction.

Where did you get the K$N filters for an MGA?  And do they fit in the
original air cleaner housings?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude