Re: TAchometer and Misc

To: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Subject: Re: TAchometer and Misc
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 17:06:14 +0000
RAY WYGONIK wrote:

> Problems on my 74 B are slowly being solved.  THE clutch is now free.
> The turn signals blink normal when the engine is running, but not when the key
> is only on.
>
> The problem that is giving me the most trouble is my tach.  AS I have reported
> bbefore, it pegs as soon as I turn the key.  IT appears I have a short in the
> green wire that plugs in hte back.  I read resistance when I check the green
> wire to ground.  I am gussesaing this should not be.  So far have not be able
> to track it down.
>
> At the fuse box the white wires across the fuse from the green also show a
> ground.  Everythin g else works on the car.
>
> Any ideas?

Both green (fused ignition) and white (unfused ignition) circuits should show a
nominal 12v with the ignition on, regardless of whether the engine is actually
running or not.  If you measure the resistance when the ignition is off you
could
well see something less than 3 ohms if the points are closed as you are
measuring
the parallel resistances of coil, fuel pump, voltage stabilser, tach etc.
Since
the coil gets its 12v from the other white wire on fuse 3, you must have some
voltage there for the engine to run.  If the two white wires share a connector
then it could be that connector isn't making contact with the fuseblock, hence
no
12v either side of the fuse.

PaulH.