Re: Gear Stick Vibration/Rattle

To: "John Stephens" <jrs97@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Gear Stick Vibration/Rattle
From: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 08:11:52 +1000
At 04:47 am 20/05/98 PDT, John Stephens wrote:
>I have a vibration/rattle from my gear box (1976 MGB) which quits when I
>hold the gear stick. I suspect the plunger (shift lever damping) and
>spring or the locating pin (shift lever). Any other ideas as to what my
>problem may be? How difficult is it to get at these parts? Also when in
>neutral, with retaining parts removed, can I take out the gear stick,
>grease it, and replace without disturbing anything? As you can tell from
>my questions I have never worked on a gear box so all help will be
>greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers, John

If you have a non standard gear stick knob then throw it away.  The correct
item has a soft compound inside which prevents the gear box nose being
transmitted.

Might sound weird but many, many gearbox noises have been fixed by a change
of the knob.

Graham
97 MGF

Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia