Re: Gear Stick Vibration/Rattle

To: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Subject: Re: Gear Stick Vibration/Rattle
From: "M.P. Trebelhorn" <mpt3265@osfmail.isc.rit.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 17:27:17 -0400 (EDT)

> > I have a vibration/rattle from my gear box (1976 MGB) which quits when I
> > hold the gear stick. I suspect the plunger (shift lever damping) and
> > spring or the locating pin (shift lever). Any other ideas as to what my
> > problem may be? How difficult is it to get at these parts? Also when in
> > neutral, with retaining parts removed, can I take out the gear stick,
> > grease it, and replace without disturbing anything? As you can tell from
> > my questions I have never worked on a gear box so all help will be
> > greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers, John
>
> There is also a little nylon (?) cup that sits between the lever and the
> extension rods.  If this is worn or missing it gives rises to a 'zizzing'
> lever that quiets with hand pressure.  The one on my V8 was missing, and to
> replace it I had to put the cup on the lever then insert both in the
> extension rod, rather than the other way round.  Cup is about 50p.

Also, if the three bolts which hold the gear lever in place (hold down the plate
which sandwiches it to the aluminum housing) are loose, then the symptoms can
be similar.  Take off the shift boot & tighten the three bolts right on top.
And, in response to your remove&lubricate question: yes, it is possible, no it
doesn't disturb anything.  The pieces you mention (pins, plunger, etc.)are, in
my experience, he** to get to.

Good luck.
Matt